Friday 4 October 2013

Meet Katy, Academic Services Manager tweeting the w/c 7 October

I am the Academic Services Manager in ILS. I work with the Academic Technologies Trainer, the Digital Trainer for Staff and the Academic Liaison Librarians. We are the ones who work with staff and students, providing advice and help with everything from how to reference a journal article to how to format a Word document. I sit on various University Committees, including the Research Committee and take part in several working groups across the University. The part of my role I enjoy most is researching and thinking of how to work with other areas of the University and colleagues from outside the University to make sure you get the best advice and teaching from ILS that we can give.

Before I came to York St John I was an Arcadia Fellow at Wolfson College Cambridge researching and recommending ways to implement a holistic curriculum for information literacy. Great experience but remarkably like being at Unseen University (for the Pratchett fans). Prior to that I worked in FE as a Learning Resources Centre Manager, working with vocational students studying at all levels and in subjects ranging from Artist Blacksmith to Accountancy.

I was a mature student at Manchester Metropolitan University, where I gained my degree in Library and Information Management, having left a career in IT to do so. The importance of access to information freely, in the appropriate format and when it is needed is a passion of mine. For that reason I was one of the founders of the campaign group Voices for the Library (http://www.voicesforthelibrary.org.uk/) Ask me about access to information and human rights some time.


I am looking forward to sharing my working days with you but be warned, there may be MotoGP also.

No comments: